What to do if your dog eats chocolate – home remedies. Eating chocolate is bad for dogs. Theobromine in chocolate can cause severe gastrointestinal upset, heart arrhythmias, tremors and seizures. If you suspect your dog has eaten some of your Easter candy or other types of chocolate, take action immediately to prevent the worst outcomes.
See if your dog or puppy has a fever.
If your dog is showing any of these signs, he may need veterinary care. Call your vet or emergency clinic immediately.
- Increased thirst and urination
- Lethargy (tiredness) or restlessness
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Abdominal pain or distention (swelling) (in some cases this can be a symptom of pancreatitis)
If you have already taken your dog’s temperature rectally and it was normal, keep an eye on him closely to see if his behavior changes at all. If he starts acting lethargic or restless, vomiting, having diarrhea more than once in 24 hours or appears dehydrated by any measure (he doesn’t seem to be drinking enough water), call your vet immediately.
Make sure your dog or puppy is not vomiting.
If your dog is vomiting, take them to the vet. Vomiting is a common sign of chocolate toxicity and can be very serious. If your dog has vomited, it may not be safe for them to eat any more chocolate. If they are not vomiting, continue with the next step.
Watch for signs of abdominal pain in your dog or puppy.
Watch for signs of abdominal pain in your dog or puppy. If you notice your furry friend showing any signs of abdominal pain, get him to a vet immediately. Abdominal pain can be an indicator of something serious like an obstruction, poisoning, inflammation or infection (to name a few).
If no signs are apparent and you have reason to believe that the chocolate was consumed less than 6 hours ago:
Induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide if the dog weighs less than 20 pounds or is a puppy younger than 6 months old. For example: A 10 pound Pomeranian ate 1 piece at 5 pm and started vomiting around 7 pm; we induced vomiting with 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide and then gave 2 teaspoons Kaopectate to stop diarrhea and dehydration (the dose will depend on their size).
Give activated charcoal every 12 hours until symptoms subside or until they start feeling better. We gave our Pom 2 doses spaced two hours apart (one teaspoon each time) because she continued having loose stools after the first dose so we wanted to try helping her feel better quickly while also ensuring there wasn’t anything else going on internally which could cause more harm if left untreated.
Try to get your puppy or dog to eat some activated charcoal.
Activated Charcoal is a natural remedy that can help your puppy or dog’s digestive system. It’s safe and effective, so you should try to get some activated charcoal into your puppy or dog as soon as possible (if they are feeling bad). Even if the chocolate hasn’t been digested yet, it’s still a good idea to get some activated charcoal into them.
That’s a wrap on what to do if your dog eats chocolate – home remedies. If you think your puppy or dog has eaten some chocolate, there are a few things you should do. First of all, check to see if your dog has a fever and make sure that he or she is not vomiting. If they are not vomiting or showing signs of abdominal pain then try to get them to eat some activated charcoal as soon as possible. You may also want to contact your veterinarian in case they need any treatment for their symptoms.